Sunday, June 26, 2016
Sears mortgages in Oakland County, Michigan, I discovered exactly one house in Commerce Township, Michigan. This wasn't entirely surprisingly as Commerce Township was primarily a farming community during the period that Sears was selling houses with mortgages. But there was a railroad line that ran through southern Commerce Township and there was areas that had been platted around some of the many lakes in Commerce. It was in one of these platted lakeside subdivisions where we found this Sears Winthrop.
Friday, June 3, 2016
article about kit houses, check out these links to learn more about what we do and about the history of kit houses.
- In the Beginning: How we got started!
- The Great Sears Paper Trail: Learn how we use documents, some almost 100 years old, to find Sears houses.
- Sears Mortgages of Washington DC: One of our biggest research projects that led to the discovery of a lot of big kit houses!
- Sears Houses of Massapequa Park, New York - Grand Boulevard: One of our projects to document Sears houses around the United States. If you are interested in seeing many examples of Sears houses, check this out!
- The Lost Sears Houses of Hazel Park, Michigan: An in-depth exploration of streetcar suburbs and kit houses.
After you visit the blog, join the Sears Modern Homes Facebook page to see many more examples of kit houses from Sears and other kit house companies. Interested in reading more? Check out the kit house blogs linked under "More about Catalog and Kit Homes" on the right hand side of the page. Thank you for visiting!